Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Neighborhood

In my neighborhood, you have to make sure you lock your house up. And never leave your car unlocked. And never, never leave your purse unattended. Seriously. It's not that I live in a bad neighborhood.  Let me explain...

*A few years ago, on a Sunday afternoon, I had gone to the hospital nine months pregnant to 'get checked'. Once there, it was determined that I could stay and have a baby. Our children at home had been given their lunch and were in the care of my responsible (then  12 yr old) son and his 10 yr old sister. A lovely neighbor heard from a friend that we had gone to the hospital and headed over to the house to make sure everything was ok. My kids are not supposed to open doors to anyone while we are gone, but this kind lady had no problems, as the door was unlocked. She went in, cleaned the kitchen and folded multiple baskets of clean laundry.

*A few years later, while I was having yet another baby, a team of industrious and Christlike women coerced the garage code out of a dear friend, let themselves in and cleaned the ENTIRE house.

*When we leave our van unlocked, we don't come back to find the stereo missing....we find the van loaded with garden produce and bags of gently used clothing.

*When I leave my purse unattended, as was the case a few weeks ago, IN CHURCH, I came back to find $20 tucked in my wallet.

*Gifts have been left, monies tucked, groceries produced.


The latest of these 'heavenly-magic-miracles' has left me speechless. It's true TGH is out of work, and we have 7 children. It's true that we are never in what people would call a stable financial situation. But I just looked in my previously empty wallet and found generosity that astounds me.

I am the exact and utter opposite of robbed. We are watched over, spoiled, and cared for in so many ways.

I need a new scripture for this one....Psalms 23:5-6

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely agoodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Thank you. I hope I live my life in such a way as to someday deserve and return to others the blessings that spill over the edge of my cup.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Now I want to cry~ I love knowing my sister is watched over when I'm not right by her to do it myself!

Melody said...

Nice. There's nobody nicer for it to happen to.:)

Leslie said...

That's why Corey always left the truck unlocked when we lived in Orem. Doh!