Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Find something you love and do it!

What do you do when you find yourself frustrated and mad and just can't quite get out of your rut?
Yesterday and possibly for a few days before that, I was feeling very crabby.
Frustrated. Slightly Mean.
I tried the usual methods. Seriously. If I caught myself thinking that it was a bad day, I tried to replace it with a positive thought. I admit I am not a pro at this, but I definitely tried. Yesterday I really, really tried. I woke up and read my scriptures. I usually do this, but yesterday, I even stayed in my room an extra few minutes, reading more because I could tell I was still feeling grouchy. I thought I would be better because I had a great Sunday the day before at church, but no. I realized I was tired, so I laid around a bit. Then later, I walked on my treadmill for exercise, because that is a good way to get out a bad mood. Usually.
Nothing worked.
Until this morning. Now, I am not usually one to buy into the "take time for me" philosophy. Sure, you need a little time, but that line of thinking can really get out of control and lead to a lot of selfishness. But this morning I accidentally stumbled onto just what I needed.
Tonight I am supposed to be participating in a church talent show. Sometimes I like to write music, so my wonderful husband suggested I should have someone else sing one of the songs I've written and I could accompany them on the piano. I am a little nervous about this, so this morning after breakfast, I sat down to go over the song. It turned out to be exactly what I needed! For just a few minutes, the little girls played in their rooms and I was able to concentrate just on the music and the song and really, really enjoy playing. Plus, I was able to work out a few parts of the accompaniment I was having trouble with.
I really think it was the cure for my frustrated mood.
And so I suggest to you, today, to find something that you love doing. One of those types of things that when you do it, you lose track of time and don't even know where you are. We all have something like that, that totally engrosses us. For just a little while, we don't have to worry about the chores or the children or anything else. Trust me, it will make you feel good.

3 comments:

Melody said...

I did! I finished reading _Fablehaven_. It was just what I needed. :)

lymalu73 said...

Good for you sis!

Carrie said...

I love Fablehaven. My littl girl is bringing them home from school and as soon as she's done I read them. Great books!