Monday, February 16, 2009

A New Chapter

I was thinking the other day, that it seems as thought our life has started a new chapter. The past 20 years have been filled with having babies and changing diapers and buying/upgrading housing and now it seems we have turned a corner. Baby making is over for us. The Caboose is almost 3 and while he's not moving out today or tomorrow, he is definitely not an infant any longer. Our oldest is about to graduate from high school (cross your fingers) and everyone but Caboose is in the public school system. It's a big step for us. TGH just changed jobs, and it feels like we've somehow turned a page. The next 20 years will be full of kids leaving home (cross your fingers) and growing up. Instead of planning for home buying, we're focusing on retirement planning and college and weddings. Instead of teaching babies to walk, we're teaching them to drive! How's that for scary? And sometimes, I look at TGH and wonder if we are the same kids who got married 20 years ago. His hair is thinning and graying, my hair is graying, too. We both have a few more wrinkles and I am sporting some serious stretch marks. But here we are, still very much in love, and just as serious about our marriage as we were when we kissed across the altar 20 years ago. He is still very handsome, and I can't picture being without him. Welcome, chapter 2 in our family history! I can't wait to see what happens!

5 comments:

Kirstine and David said...

It is kinda funny. I was just thinking something similar the other day. There are several things like work on my piano skills and family history research that I always said I would do when I didn't have babies to chase. I just realized that I don't have any babies to chase and haven't for a little while with the youngest almost 5. Maybe I should do some of those things I always said I would.

Melody said...

Yep. I'm right there with you. BTW there is a picture of Karen on my blog here: http://merriemelody.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentines-weekend.html

Leslie said...

You have gray hair?

Carrie said...

She doesn't have gray hair. She has like ONE gray hair. She's a chronic exaggerator like all my family!

Maren said...

Thanks for defending my head, sis:)