Thursday, October 16, 2008

political schizophrenia

So last night instead of watching America's Next Top Model, I did my patriotic duty and watched the presidential debates. I have to say after the democratic and republican conventions I was very hyped up about McCain. Now that it's been awhile I can see there are plenty of things I don't agree with him about and yet I still don't want to turn Obama. The country needs more than eloquence right now, as Lieberman pointed out at the Republican convention. This is a serious decision and the time is almost up. The Professor LOVES politics and so we talk about this non-stop at my house. (Even though he already voted absentee since we're moving sometime, hopefully soon).
I read a blog the other day about Palin, dare I even bring her up. The main point of it was that women don't want her to win because they don't want to be held up to her high standard and have that much expected out of them. No, I'm not kidding, that really is what the women on the blog were worrying about. Like, they are afraid her success might make them have to try a little harder for their own and they didn't want to. I truly couldn't wrap my brain around it.
I'm not entirely sold on her, but I think she's definitely been smeared and attacked beyond what is normal. No one even mentions Biden and I heard that his nickname is Xerox Biden because he has been known to plagiarize. True or not, you think the media would have a field day with that one.
Anyway, I am rambling and the reason is I haven't made up my mind. I think I'm in agreement with Obama on healthcare and the environment, but I'm with McCain on other issues. Almost completely divided. I guess I'm one of those voters who won't be completely sure until the ballot is right in front of my face.

1 comment:

ParentingPink said...

OH, I just HAD to comment on this thoughtful political post. Even though I'm a dem, I completely agree with your feelings. I was a Hillary supporter, and it took me a while to warm up to Barak. Even now, there are things about McCain that I like. I think he outperformed Barak at the debate.

Sarah Pain has gotten a bad "rap" as far as I'm concerned. I do think she's been unfairly targeted, and as a woman, I take offense. But, I do think she might be a bit out of her league.

Either way, I agree that it's a tough decision in an important election year. Thanks for this thoughtful post and for continuing to make people aware that they should get involved in the political process, regardless of whom they vote for.